By Greg Schwartz
What is Podcasting?
§ A way to distribute audio content online
§ Extends RSS technology to audio/media
§ Facilitates automatic downloading of new content
§ Time-shifted content – listen to whatever, whenever, wherever
§ Plain old mp3s – no iPod required
§ Diverse content from mainstream and independent media sources
How do I listen?
o need a way to find the content…
§ search engines
o and a way to subscribe to content
o Today’s focus is on the former, but some tools will help you do both.
How do I find the good stuff?
Go to the stuff you know now. i.e. NPR http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podscast_directory.php
Aggregators of Podcasts
Juice (software to install on computer)
- Podcast 411 http://Podcast411.com/page2.html
- Podcast Alley http://podcastalley.com
- Podcast.net (tags can be applied when entry placed into directory)
- iTunes http://apple.com/itunes
Find Content in Podcasts
- Blinkx – http://blinkx.com
- Actually focuses more on video content, claims to index content of audio podcasts
- Podscope – http://podscope.com including both audio and video content
- Podzinger – http://podzinger.com
- Pluggd – http://pluggd.com
- Feature not yet released: textual analysis of podcast
- Castingwords.com (human transcription of podcast)