Friday, April 18, 2008

University of Montana - Missoula


big desk
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
I loved my visit to the University of Montana. There are so many things I could blog about. The most innovative idea to me, was the removal of the reference collection. I can hear the collective gasp from all of you reading this. The reasoning goes like this...

1. They are subscribing to many online reference resources
2. They would like to free up space on the first floor for other purposes
3. When was the last time someone went to the collection to help a student ...

The books are going to be moved to a small collection at the information desk or are going to be moved to the stacks. If moved to the stacks they can be still be marked as non-circulating as decided by the subject/reference librarians.

I know there are a lot of books in my own library's reference collection that are rarely used. But we don't have the budget to buy as many online reference resources as they have. However, I definitely see a reduction of the collection in the future. -- Jenny

For more photos see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604595964060/

No comments: